Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm having a love-affair with Florence

Hello all!  
I just want to check in with you guys.  I haven't been doing anything too exciting lately-I've been ill and I've actually having to do work.....But I have been exploring Florence quite a bit.  I love this city.  She's dirty, she's small, she's quite odd, she's confused, but I love it.  

Saturday Anna and I went to Boboli Gardens-they were beautiful.  Its at Pitti Palace, the summer home of the medici.  It was refreshing being there, there was sunlight, trees and greens, fresh air....it was lovely.  There was a woman there feeding all of the cats, girls picking flowers, American tourists getting lost.....it was a lovely way to spend Valentines Day.   If anyone is ever in Florence, go to Boboli.  


Monday Katy and I went to this place called San Salvi.  Its where a mental institution used to lie.  It was one of the weirdest experiences of my life, actually.  It's all walled up, around the entire (vast) area.  The day was beautiful, with sun and birds, which was a strange contrast to the sadness and edgy feeling of the complex.  Some of the buildings are falling apart, just literally deteriorating.  One of the buildings has been taken over by the anarchists of Florence, and they all just live there.  Some of the buildings have been fixed up and are offices.  Some of the former patients (who I assume have no where else to go), just wander around the area.  But what made the whole area, the whole experience so unnerving for me is that one of the buildings is an elementary school.  So I had been wandering around this quite, decrepit, uncomfortable place, then I turn a corner and there are children, many children, running around outside.  In this awful place.  I didn't quite know how to react to that, or to the whole experience.  I'm a bit afraid to let the whole thing sink in, if you want to know the truth.  I'm already disturbed.  I'll tell you more about it when I'm ready.



So we're going to Venice this weekend!  Carnivale!!!  I'm so excited.  Except I don't know what to wear!  Any ideas?  I'm thinking of just dressing in all black and getting a white mask.  I'm going to get a mask tomorrow.  Maybe I should dress up like Pierrot!!!!  


Anna and I are currently working on a Florence food pyramid.  I'll post it when we're done.

I love and miss you all so much!!!
Emily


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi:
Sounds like you are all having a wonderful time, seeing and experiencing many things. I do have a question though, do you have a regular classroom session during the day or are your classe mostly field trips?
So good to hear from you. Thanks for the updates! :) Nancy

Emily Jay said...

Both! We go to class during the week and the classes meet at regular times, but on the weekends and sometimes during the week there are feildtrips we can go on or are required to go on. Saci keeps up busy.