Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ciao!


We've made it!


So the first few days have been a whirl wind; orientation, (trying) to get aquainted with the city, jetlag, meeting new people, bags being lost somewhere, running through airports............


Our first night, after we (finally!) got to our aparment, we ran out to see the Duomo. I cannot describe to you how it felt to see it, and so close. It was beyond magnificent. In the darkness I just stood in awe of it, I still cannot believe that its really there. I'm afraid sometimes that it will disappear; it truely is so fantastic that it doesn't seem real, doesn't seem possible that I can be so close to it.



We actually went to mass there tonight; every saturday night there is an English mass. Next week I'm going to go to the Sunday Italian mass, but tomorrow I need to just sleep in (I haven't gotten much sleep). The inside is unreal, the mural in the dome is beautiful and comes right at you, and the whole thing has a stange other-worldy feel to it.



Anyway, at mass tonight something very strange happened. We're just sitting, praying and what not, then there is this terrific BOOM! outside, and everyone looks around. Then there are people yelling or cheering or something. Then there is another BOOM! And more yelling. Then a single person starts yelling. Then sirens. I for one was terrified. When the mass was over things had subsided, but we could vaguely hear yelling somewhere else. So we went home and now are going to cook dinner.



A quick note about the food. We live next door to a giant market-think farmers market only in a huge two story art nouveau building. Meat, cheese and bread downstairs, fruits and veggies up. All of the food is fresh, cheap, and divine. I got some mozarella and it is honest to god the greatest thing I have ever tasted. And going to the different stands at the market and talking to the people is so fun! Everyone is so nice and helpful. I must admit that all the meat freaks me out, they have pig heads and huge legs and are choppin things up. Not to into that, actually.

Also, our apartment is AMAZING! We have 3 totally cool, fun and into art roommates! But more on that later when we have some pictures to show you. Just as a teaser though-Katy and my room has a loft and a shower in it :)


We have internet now, so please email us! I will try to write as much as possible. Class starts on Monday, so I will be sure to let you know how it goes.
I miss and love all of you so much.



Emily



No comments: